By MSC ECE 2013/14 Student: Ozgun Ozsoy
For Applied Sediment Dynamics 2014 this year, the aim has been to investigate the likely implications of a channel dredge in the Bramble Bank- a depositional feature found just outside Southampton Water which currently presents an obstacle for many large ocean-going vessels that navigate the area.
During the first week of the course we have been learning about some of the underlying concepts and applications relevant to hydrodynamic models in general. For much of the class this has been a first real taste of numerical modelling, and following a week of practical help sessions and lectures we have learnt much of the skills necessary to prepare and run a simple but realistic numerical model for ourselves.
Our approach has been to first of all develop a conceptual model which defines the problem. This sounded somewhat trivial at first, but it is actually an important part of any modelling investigation as it can help clearly put together what is already known. We then began to take our idea further by creating a real geometry mesh of the study area using coastline and bathymetric data. This was done using Blue Kenue, a user-friendly interface used to create 2D triangular mesh that can then be used in a finite-element model (in our case Telemac 2D).
The results so far have left us very impressed by the powerful nature of numerical models, as well as reminding us of the difficulties in trying to apply them correctly!
An example of a 2D triangular mesh we have been able to create using Blue Kenue. Although it looks sophisticated, a much more simplified model with a very crude definition of the coastline is able to broadly reproduce the same large scale patterns to those modelled using the mesh above.
Using point-based bathymetric data, we have been able to map out the water depths across the entire model domain (with water depth being one of the key parameters inherent in the calculations used by the model).
A simple sketch of the problem can be very useful in helping to create the model setup. It was very nice to see the progress we made with this in just one week!
and finally, Some RESULTS!!